Sunday, April 25, 2010

Directions for making your own Dress form - The Poor Man's Dress Form

Someone asked for directions on how to do this. So this is a request. This isn't too hard to do. My boyfriend got the original idea from an internet video. I can't find the link at the moment, but once I find it, I will post the video. 

You will need
  1. PATIENCE
  2. about 3 rolls of duct tape
  3. an undershirt to put under the duct tape. (one you dont mind throwing away because you won't get it back for this project)
  4. and maybe some kind of stand to put your dress form on
This is how we went about doing it. My boyfriend had me put on an old tshirt that GOES OVER YOUR BUTT. Then we proceeded to wrap me in 3 even layers of duct tape OVER the white undershirt, so the duct tape won't stick to my body. Keep wrapping the duct tape around you until it feels pretty stiff.

Remember, this process takes 2 people. Meaning you the model, and then the duct taper. It can be a lengthy process so I hope you plan on doing what I did --- watching tv to keep yourself busy during the process. I ended up watching Biggest Loser just because it was on tv at the moment. I know you may get tired from standing, so watch something entertaining.


DON'T try to sit down or lay down in any form during the process, for this may ruin the shape of the dress form. You might start to feel short of breath towards the end of the process. This is normal. Just be patient.

When you think you're done and have enough thickness and layers, find a really nice sharp pair of scissors. (maybe Ginger Scissors). and cut one long line down the back. Be very careful doing this because the dress form is so close to your body, you don't want to cut your back, or cut your bra strap off! If you don't have a nice sharp pair of scissors, cutting yourself out of the dress form might be difficult.



After the dress form is cut from your body, take it off, lay it down on the ground and tape up the back where you just cut it open.

Cut the sleeves off of your undershirt.... hey! i told you earlier that you would have to be parting with this shirt!



We probably should have wrapped some fabric around my neck and built a collar/neck for the dress form. But we didn't on well.

Now find something to stand the mannequin on. We found a C-Stand. Voila!

1 comment:

  1. Ok, so this is officially the most inventive Dress Form making - ever! I'm shamelessly steeling your idea and making one this weekend!
    (I'm also a sewing beginner with a boyfriend who thinks that 179€ for a second hand Husqvarna is way too much money!)

    ReplyDelete